Friday, October 26, 2012

Pumpkin Patch!

A few weeks ago, we had a random and very unusual (at least for early October) Fall-like day that literally lasted for only a day. A cold front pushed in over night changing our high temp of 90 the day before to about 65 which felt glorious to us and everyone in our area. We'd been thinking about taking Benjamin to a nearby pumpkin patch to take some obligatory pumpkin pictures so when the cool weather rolled in, we decided to take advantage of it and made a quick, impromptu drive over to Dewberry Farm. 

Dewberry Farm has lots of activities for kids - wagon rides to the pumpkin patch, cow train, inflatable jumpers, slides, pig races, pony rides, corn mazes and tons of food. Benjamin was a little young for most everything, but he was definitely entertained by all of the people and had fun just running around. It was really the most perfect day to go! I couldn't imagine going on any other day over the past month when it's been back up in the usual high 80s/low 90s. It just wouldn't feel right to be in a pumpkin patch while sweating (at least not in my opinion since I grew up in VA where Fall most definitely exists). On a side note, while it was most definitely cooler and we dressed accordingly, I got a good laugh out of the many people I saw wearing not only thick coats, but also sporting scarves, hats, gloves and boots. I mean it was chilly, yes, but certainly not freezing!

The first thing we did once we got through the long admission line was to put Benjamin on a pony ride...which he pretty much hated. He cried when Matt first stuck him on and then tensed up his body during the entire ride. He kept trying to push hard against Matt's hand (that was supporting him) to get off! After the pony ride, we went over to feed goats which was much more to Benjamin's liking...


After we finished feeding the goats, we hopped on a wagon and headed over to the pumpkin patch. The wagon made a quick stop among the Christmas trees to let us know how many they grow there (some huge amount... I forget) and it was actually pretty cool to see. The wagon was packed and we were all smooshed together. I wanted to take some pictures of B on his first wagon ride, but since I was so close to them with no room to move, I had to settle on a bunch of close ups of his face, ha!


We didn't purchase a pumpkin that day because we forgot our stroller and didn't feel like carrying it around with us, but Benjamin definitely enjoyed trying to pick up the pumpkins! I was in no condition to try and work smiles out of him and do an actual photo shoot, but I'm pleased with one of the shots I got of him even though he's not smiling in it. After the pumpkin patch, we headed over to watch a very uneventful pig race. While waiting, Benjamin got to have his first taste of kettle corn. We've never given him popcorn and he's always wanted to eat it. In fact, we never even make it when he's awake. This time though, we bought kettle corn and couldn't hide it so we broke it into small pieces and let him have some. He LOVED it and kept asking for more. We ended our afternoon with some deliciously healthy food - corn dogs and a funnel cake. At least we drank diet coke! ;) 


Hard to believe that next year we'll have 3 little pumpkins to bring to the Dewberry Farm!




No comments:

Post a Comment