This year we had a pretty quiet Thanksgiving as it was just the two of us (or 4 of us if you count Rocket and Coal - we let them feast on a bit of turkey too!), but we still went all out on the food. Last year we sort of "skipped" Thanksgiving because were were in Australia at the time and the holiday is not celebrated there. Now that we're back in America, I just couldn't imagine letting the day pass by without eating the traditional turkey and mashed potatoes meal (among other things of course)! I spent most of Wednesday prepping the side dishes and brining the turkey. By mid-afternoon, I started to regret my decision to make everything from scratch rather than order some of the food like Matt was encouraging me to do (I come from a home where everything is homemade without shortcuts and take out is basically unheard of) because at 34 weeks pregnant, I just don't have the energy to stand up and cook for long periods of time. Thankfully, Matt noticed my exhaustion and stepped up in a big way. He chopped, sauteed, mixed and then washed all of the dishes when we were done! Our hard work paid off and by noon on Thanksgiving day we were enjoying all of the food that we missed last year :)
We did find ourselves wishing that we were spending the day with family, but it was also a nice time for us to reflect on all of our past Thanksgivings together (7 before this one) and talk about how different they will be from this point on...next year we'll have a tiny new guest at the table...and we just can't wait! :)
Happy Thanksgiving!


I'm drooling look at that spread! I'm inspired...
ReplyDelete