Monday, October 1, 2012

So Very True...

One of my very dear friends, Katy, just moved back to TX after 3 long years of being away in NJ. For a good portion of that time, I was also away (in Singapore), but in any case it's so fun to finally be living close together again! 

We were hanging out this past Saturday and our conversation was rolling along just as though neither of us had ever left (the sign of a true friend in my opinion) when we got on the top of weird questions that people tend to ask when they find out a person is either expecting or has twins. Now, I totally understand that having multiple babies at the same time really intrigues a lot of people. I also know that there is a lot of information about having twins (and more for some people) that you just wouldn't know unless you're actually going through it...so I'm not surprised that people have a lot of questions. What I am surprised by, however, is some of the questions that complete strangers feel comfortable asking me! 

Case and point - a trip to Sam's Club one Sunday afternoon. Matt and I were buying two, tiny NB Christmas sleepers we happen to see so the cashier asked us if we're having twins. Of course, we said yes. She then asked me how I'll be delivering the twins... hmm, a little personal, but OK... "I'm not sure yet" was my response. I think a simple "well, good luck!" would have sufficed, but she instead asked me how I delivered Benjamin. 

I was telling Katy that story among others...like how almost everyone asks us if twins run in our family. I realize that's just the common thing to ask, but sometimes it just seems like people want to know if this twin pregnancy occurred spontaneously or through fertility treatments...and maybe, just maybe, that's not a conversation I want to have with every single stranger I come across, ya know? No one ever seems to ask if single babies run in the family ;) 

 Oh, and you know how I just mentioned the pregnancy happening spontaneously? If you ARE going to ask someone carrying multiples that question, then that is the word you want to use. Now, I'm not going to lie... I didn't know that myself before I got pregnant with twins, but if really does make sense. Why ask someone if their twins are natural? Aren't all babies natural? 

Now I admit that I didn't and still don't know everything there is to know about fraternal vs. identical twins and how exactly that's all determined (but I have learned that in many cases, identical twins can only be confirmed through blood tests after birth). One thing I'm sure I did know before these twins came along, was that boy/girl twins are without a doubt fraternal. I'm still surprised at the amount of people that ask me if our twins are identical after learning that we're having one of each. 

And finally, on the subject of having one of each... you would not believe the amount of people that have said to me "Oh that's so great! So you're done having kids then!" The truth? We are pretty much done having kids now (unless God decides something different for us...oh, but please don't, Lord). The other truth? Sometimes when perfect strangers tell me I'm done having kids because I'm having both a girl and a boy,  I feel like telling them I want 5 more just for the heck of it. 

Anyway, for the most part, everything I've written above doesn't actually bother me that much. If anything, I get a good laugh out of it in most cases. Some people get really worked up about these things and it's just not worth my time or energy to actually get upset over these questions! Nonetheless, Katy sent me this video on YouTube that absolutely had me cracking up. It turns out, I'm SO not alone in this! I just had to share for a laugh :)  Excuse the weird robotic voices.

Think before you speak, people! :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so honored I made your blog! What is your favorite brand of tampons? ;)

    ReplyDelete