Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Take the leap?

In the past few months, I've been going back and forth on whether or not I wanted to start up a part time photography thing. Yes, for now I'm calling it a thing and not a business because I'm just not quite there yet in my mind. Business seems scary to me, but thing seems doable...maybe. 

My interest is definitely in family/children portrait photography. I'd love to photograph newborns as well, but that is an area that definitely needs some work simply because I haven't had many opportunities to see what I'm capable of doing. I did photograph Sadie when she was born, but she was 13 days old by the time I got to VA and definitely not at all interested in being positioned for sweet, sleeping baby pictures.

Anyway, there are a few things holding me back. For one, I feel like I have a ways to go in terms of photo editing. You literally can't make it as a photographer today without knowing how to professionally edit your images. I'm a total photographer stalker these days and I spend a lot of time perusing different websites. Trust me, if you don't know how to edit photos, it totally shows. So I'd say about I'm about halfway there. I've learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn. The second thing is I'm totally insecure about the pictures I take. I'm my own worse enemy when it come to judging my photos. I'm probably being a bit harsh on myself, but I honestly doubt the fact that people would actually want to pay me for my work (despite that fact that I already have been paid a few times, haha). It's just that I look at the sites of photographers that I admire and I think their work is so awesome and then I start thinking that my pictures will never be as good as theirs.

I guess the truth is though, that everyone has to start somewhere. I'm sure most of the people I admire would say that their own work has come a long way since they first started out. I know that I don't have to be perfect from day one and that I can continue learning as I go along. So...that's that. I could ramble on about this, but I'd probably just go in circles. I think I might take the leap and get this thing going in the next few months. Maybe. Maybe I'll make myself official. Maybe.

If it does happen, I'll be sure to announce the big news when I become "official."

In the mean time, here's a sample of the work I've done for friends and family. Some of these pictures have been posted before, but I wanted to do a little collection of pictures I've taken so I'm including them again. I'm totally open to critique so feel free to leave a comment or shoot me an email if you think I'm super crazy for even considering doing this. Seriously. I want to know.


































No comments:

Post a Comment