Wow. I absolutely can't believe that my sweet baby boy is already 6 days old! Where is the time going? I can tell you one thing...it's not being spent on sleeping. Well, not for me anyway ;)
My labor was semi uneventful which is absolutely a good thing! I definitely wouldn't call the experience easy in any sort of way (in fact, every single nurse/person that came into the L&D room throughout the day felt the need to say "well, it's called labor for a reason!"), but I've definitely heard worse accounts from other people so I consider myself one of the lucky ones.
For several reasons (my doctor was going out of the country on the 15th, my mom was already in town and waiting for Benjamin's arrival and Benjamin was predicted to be a very large baby) an induction was scheduled for me on January 10th which was my actual due date. Matt and I were all set to head to the hospital at 10 p.m. on the 9th, but just hours before that we got a call from the hospital saying they were completely filled up and my induction spot would have to be bumped to the next day. Needless to say, we were bummed because we were SO anxious to meet Benjamin, but nonetheless, we made the best of one extra day and caught up on some rest...
At midnight on the 11th, we finally made our way to the hospital. Prior to getting in the car, I'd been feeling really calm, but something about actually heading over there and knowing that this baby was finally coming made me anxious and nervous! Still, I was ready to get things going.
We checked in and things got started quickly. After an initial progress check, I was told that had I not been there to be induced, Benjamin more than likely would not arrive for at least another week or more (which would have put me at 41+ weeks...yikes!). I guess the little guy was nice and comfy in there. At 6:30 a.m. my doctor showed up to break my water and from that point on I was truly in labor. I started feeling the contractions I was having almost immediately (I didn't feel them at all prior to that even though they were being picked up on the monitor) and with the help of pitocin, the contractions came on strong and fast. I managed to make it for about 3 hours before I asked for my epidural. Once I got it, things were easy breezy...at least for a little while...
The first 7 hours progressed very quickly and we thought Benjamin may arrive in the early afternoon. However, some time around 1 p.m., Benjamin's heart rate started dropping and they had to put me on oxygen and shut off the pitocin to slow the contractions. Shortly after that time, we discovered that I had a "hot spot"...an area on my lower left side that the epidural stopped taking to and I could feel each and every contraction. As the pain got stronger and the tears started flowing, the anaesthesiologist was called in to re-dose me and everything was back to being easy...for now.
Finally, around 6:30 p.m. it was time to get the show on the road. All of the nurses were called in and ready and my doctor was on her way. Unfortunately, that darn hot spot reared its ugly face again. At first I tried to push through the pain, but as the epidural continued to wear off, I got to the point where I just couldn't take it anymore. At 10 centimeters with strong contractions coming right on top of each other, I felt like someone was taking a knife to my left side over and over again. The tears started flowing and I could no longer concentrate on pushing...so in came in the anaesthesiologist again for a re-dose! Now I know there are plenty of people out there that have gone through labor epidural free who are probably rolling their eyes over me crying over a small hot spot, but well, I don't care. That stinkin' spot hurt like crazy and there is no part of me that EVER wishes to feel that pain over my entire stomach never mind one tiny spot! Props to those who can make it through. I'd just never be one of them! :)
After 14 hours of labor, at 7:57 p.m. on 1/11/11 our beautiful baby boy entered the world and it was absolutely love at first sight! I never knew such a love existed. A love that is so strong and so intense that you can hardly catch your breath. Tears were flowing and both Matt and I were immediately smitten over little Benjamin!
Happy Birthday sweet, baby boy! We love you so much!
With Mom and Brittni just minutes before leaving for the hospital...man, I was BIG!
Post epidural. Trust me, there were hardly any smiles before that ;)
He's here! He's here!
"Where am I?!"
7 lbs 6 oz.
Little feet!
One proud daddy!
Benjamin, our amazing nurse, Janice, who stayed with us well after her shift ended to there for Benjamin's birth, the wonderful Dr. Lin and Matt :)
Grandma and Benjamin
Poppa and Benjamin
Goonie and Benjamin
Uncle Sam and Aunt Susie were there to meet Benjamin!
Me holding my boy for the very first time!
Lucy checking out her new cousin through the nursery window
After all of the family left and we were moved to recovery, we waited patiently for Benjamin to be brought back to us after a few hours of monitoring in the nursery. Finally, after a 4 hour wait that felt like 40 hours, we got our little guy back and we embraced life as a family of 3!
Benjamin's first morning
A bit of pain medicine and I can be all smiles ;)
Brittni, an Aunt at only 8 years old!
And by Thursday morning, it was time to head home...
Daddy dressing Benjamin in his going home outfit :)
He's all set to leave and see his new home!
A paranoid, first-time mom definitely sits in the back with the baby...
We're headed home!!




























Anyone else comment that Benjamin looks like Brittni? I think he does!
ReplyDelete